Sunday, September 26, 2004

inee or outee

It’s Sunday 6:30PM or so, I’ve parked the truck and I’m walking to the second job, on her stoop is an old friend, old meaning we’ve been friends for awhile, and old meaning that she turned 80 three months ago.

She greets me with a smile, she gets one in return, she tells me she was quoted in the paper, quoted about politics. She knows my political history because her daughter is the one that got me involved. She tells me about the questions she answered, she tells me “Even the crooked politicians used to help you, but not anymore,” that quote made the paper. She tells me how some good have gone bad and of how one that was bad is now good. I confirm her last statement. I know the guy, I’ve typed out press releases for him & created cutom invites for fundraisers, usually in the dead of night because that is when he has his free time. In the early days, I couldn’t stand the guy, he epitomized everything I thought was wrong with my city and society in general. But he’s different now and even if he doesn’t like you personally he’ll still try to help because that’s his job.

Then I shake my head, not physically because I’m still talking to my old friend, I shake my head because I just had a private thought. I thought I was out of politics.

Politics – it seems I can’t stay away from them. In a previous post I reminded myself of dangers of a cause (I meant politics, specifically) and someone tells me “This seems relevant,” I think “No, it don’t. I’m done with politics,” I thought I was but here I am. I’m where I most likely vowed I wouldn’t be again. Politics.

Earlier, I remember a few checks written, a few fundraisers attended, a few standouts where I was out standing. I could always say I was just helping out a friend but I realized I never left, just toned it down a bit.

I don’t like politics, I don’t like that the best candidate doesn’t always win. I don’t like that most voters just vote for the best show without knowing much else. I don’t like that elections can be bought, or rather if you spend enough money you can win.

Even, if I don’t like to admit it I’ve stayed involved. I’ve stayed involved because if you want change you have to do more than just vote. I’ve stayed because I want change.

That post below this one is my result from some online ink blot test.

“You have a deep desire to use ideas to change the world around you. This drive influences you far more than you may realize on a conscious level.” I read that sentence from below and said “Screw you!” but then I realized I meant “Screw me.”

No comments: