Thursday, June 09, 2005

at some point yesterday, a couple of us grabbed a couple beers but after a couple I left, I had things to do.

at home I was calculating if I could follow through on my plan of getting inebriated, I hadn't received any word on the item I was waiting for and the time I set to call and check on that thing hadn't arrived yet so I just waited.

Then the cell phone rang

"Hey, just to keep you updated. I haven't heard from that girl yet"

I waited another ten minutes before I figured I was most likely off the hook for making forged invites, it was getting too late, so i drove to the local train station and caught a train to downtown.

"Hey, your buddy was here looking for you but you missed him" is what the barkeep told me as she passed me a beer.

The start of my plan was underway but when the staffing switch came at seven, none of my regular barkeeps were working. None, not one of the five.

"Hi Tim, your partner was here earlier looking for you" - a regular who surprised me by using my name but then I know his first and last name so I don't know why I was surprised.

There are a few different groups of regulars, he's in a different group, his gregariousness was unexpected but then he like me was the only one in his group.

After beer number four, I was thinking about switching over to something distilled when I saw a silver Ford Explorer drive past the window. I thought "Lady G drives one of those" and then a minute later I notice Lady G who, at that moment, was noticing me. She didn't come in, like I thought she might instead she called me on the phone.

"Do you ever go home?"

"I was home but then I got so free time and came back"

"I had a strange feeling I should look inside when I was walking by and there you were. I have some returns to make"

I knew which store she was returning at so I finished the pint, cashed out and started to make my way over there.

On the way out the manger spied me leaving and looked at his watch. He was hanging out in a small plaza area across from his bar.

"Early night?"

"Yeah, I know who drives that and I know where she is" I said as I pointed at the Explorer while making my way to where she would be

We talked a bit and then she handed me her keys and asked if I would make certain she didn't get a parking ticket. I really had no other option than to watch her ride so I left with her keys, wondering if there should be a need to move her car whether I should be the one moving it. I decided I would cross that bridge when I came to it.

The manager was still outside his bar, but had since moved from one park bench to another. It probably had something to do with the stench of horse urine because the horse carriages start and end their route on the same corner as his bar. The horse carriages are allowed in the city because the politicians think it brings the city one step closer to being 'world class'. I think it makes the city look like a bunch of pretenders.

I sat on the bench opposite the manager.

"I was asked to keep an eye out for parking enforcement" is how I explained my. We talked about parking enforcement for a few when Lady G approached.

"The manager kicked me out" - my quasi introduction for the both of them

"I had to. He was drinking everything"

Then they preformed a more formal exchange on their own with actual names and stuff.

"Do you want a ride home?" she asked as she turned to me

"Sure. I would love one"

Which was convenient because the novelty of getting hammered had worn off.

No comments: