Monday, June 06, 2005

Monday nights I usually have nothing scheduled. I normally work Sunday afternoons so I like my Mondays with nothing to do.

My friends know that it’s not uncommon for me to spend Monday nights at the bar, although with a recent staffing change I’m not there too long, if at all.

Lady G works nights, Monday is her Friday, her weekend begins on Tuesday. My Tuesdays are always busy – ads are due.

Tonight though I came home, sat down and fell asleep, woke up and finished a novel.

After the novel I looked at the silent dark 52” tv then went outside after I found the cigars I’ve had around for over two years. I sat on the front stair off the little deck that over looks the great expanse of my front lawn.

Across the street there were a couple of regulars playing tennis. The male portion of the couple, shouts whenever he does something he isn’t pleased with, his shouting reminded me of when I used to fence.

In competition there were always these fencers who behaved like every point was life or death, like every touch was some great victory – for me it was just a game. I never had a winning record but I did do well in some competitions. I had a few medal awarded to me.

I can’t tell a good cigar from a bad one – so I buy the moderately priced ones, just like I do with wine.

I used to play tennis, was actually undefeated in competition. I only had one competitive match and then the guy I beat was teamed up with me for a doubles match, a match he didn’t want to play, so the match went unplayed. I remained undefeated.

My classic move in fencing was to let the other guy attack, I would retreat and in retreating I would flick my sabre and try to catch the guy’s wrist. It only worked about forty percent of the time but it really pissed the other guy off. I think it pissed off most of the judges too.

Dude,

it’s just a

game

I smoked the last of the cigar holding it like a joint, I could feel the heat of the smoke through the tobacco leaf wrapper.

There was an attractive woman on the trolley, she was sitting, I was standing. Her left ear was double pieced but she wore no earrings.

Sometime, I just like to smoke.

No comments: