Sunday, June 26, 2005

I finally got off my ass and mowed the lawn. Well, just the front lawn because it was damn hot, then I went inside and tried to stop sweating my balls off.

It took awhile.

I was laying on the bed face up with my feet hanging off the side, planning out the rest of the day.

shower
clean Lady G’s turtle tank (because the kids are away and she won’t touch the thing)
take care of some mold growing on her bathroom ceiling

and that was it except for maybe swinging by the regular place to say “hi”

I was just about to get up and put the plan into play when the phone rang, it was Lady G.

She asked me what I was doing. I told her my plans and then she asked, when I was finished, to bring her some things because she was stuck in some remote location and couldn’t leave.

I hung out with her for two hours or so and then one of her co-workers showed up and we were all talking for a bit and after Lady G and I discussed our plans I left. I was no longer needed at the moment.

I left for the normal place to say “hi” to Jen. Jen used to work a couple day shifts during the week but now she only works Saturday day and a few nights. I’m really there late at night so I don’t see Jen too much but every time she sees me she asks me to come by on Saturday. I try to accommodate her by eating lunch there, or having a couple, whenever I’m traveling near downtown.

When I got there I noticed a few familiar faces. I worried I would look like them soon. One guy had a blank stare, straight ahead – a look like everyone he knew had died on him but then he always has that look. He perks up when the barkeeps are serving him. I met his gaze as I was looking for a place at the bar and I’m petty sure I saw dislike. Another dude also had a blank stare but his stare was more of the kind that says ‘the lights are on but nobody is home’ and his look has little to do with alcohol. Both guys were sitting alone even though the bar is full.

All the seats at the bar were taken but then a different regular, a young guy who still shows signs of life saw me and slide his chair over as he greeted me. He was going to make enough room for a chair but I told him I would rather stand just as a Bud Light draft was placed in front of me by a smiling Michelle.

Jen then came over and I told her I couldn’t stay long.

“So are you going to have a real drink or are you going to keep drinking that pussy beer?”

I just smiled at her and then purposefully looked at all the draft beers on the bar.

She then realized that everyone around me was drinking the ‘pussy beer’ so she then said “HA! Sorry guys” and laughed at us all as she walked away.

After the first pint some folks left and I got to sit were I usually sit and I got another pint, when that was three quarters gone, Jen made a motion which indicated she was still waiting for me to answer her original question.

“Well, what do you suggest?” I asked

She thought for a moment and took into consideration that it was hot outside and then she said “a Margarita” which surprised me because if it’s not a huge shot of straight Vodka, she usually picks a more involved, more exotic drink but my worry was somewhat allayed when she added “a raspberry one”

So, I had my first Raspberry Margarita and after that I had my second. Then I left.

I met back up with Lady G at her remote location to further hang out, until her quitting time.

“So, did you get any free shots today?”

“No, but I did get a free Raspberry Margarita”

No comments: