Sunday, June 19, 2005

I was on the cell phone and holding two quarters in my hand to place in the parking meter, he was at the parking meter two spaces behind me holding a dollar bill and a perplexed look. I met his gaze and raised my eyebrows as a moved my chin slightly upward, this was my signal that he could ask the question I was certain he wanted to ask.

“Do you have any quarters?” he asked which was just the question I thought he would.

I handed him the quarters I had in my hand and he tried to hand me his dollar, I waved my hand and shook my head. I was just giving him the quarters.

He was about late fifties, he had his twenty something year old daughter with him.

“No? That’s alright I’ll find a store” – he was refusing my gift. He started to walk away but his daughter sort of just stood there. I knew he wasn't going to find a store.

I had just wished he had taken the quarters because now I had to speak to him while I was conversing with someone else on the phone, which I know is rude to all the parties I was dealing with but so far the person on the other end of the phone was none the wiser until I said “No, wait”

I asked to call my caller back as I opened my truck door to fetch more quarters at which point in time the guy in need of quarters informed me his daughter had just gotten engaged that day.

That’s great dude but I would have been even happier if you had just took my quarters and called it a day.

When I finally made it to my own meter to pay my fifty cents for a half hours worth of time and the digital display indicated that I had forty three minutes of parking time.

I put another quarter in anyway.

No comments: