Friday, March 17, 2006

"Are you a fan of the Beatles?"

"No, not really" I don't mind the Beatles. I wouldn't turn the station if the Beatles came on. I don't own any Beatles music. How do you define fan? I felt almost guilty that I said I wasn't a fan. Isn't everyone supposed to love the Beatles?

I don't own any Elvis either. I like Elvis better than I like the Beatles. Am I a fan of Elvis? How do you define fan?

Over at dictionary.com the definition for fan is: an ardent devotee; an enthusiast.

Can't I enjoy the both or either without being a fan?


Why is it that too often people narrow down the choices to just two opposing things? Often there are a bunch of choices in the middle.

"You're either with us or against us"

but where does that put the following quote?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

No comments: