Tuesday, March 28, 2006

room twelve

We were sitting in room number twelve of the emergency room. Room number twelve has just a bed and a chair in it. It's the psych room. She had some chest pains and room twelve was the only available but I teased her about it anyway. I was there just to pick her up but she hadn't been discharged by the hospital.

We kept the door closed as we talked and waited. With the door closed the hospital staff would always knock before they entered. I don't know why but I never said come in or anything; I just sat quite just like she did after all it was her room I figured it wasn't my place to say anything, I was following her lead.

After her negative test results came back she was free to go. I sat as she got dressed.

"Don't look" she said as she slipped out of the gown after she had turned away from me.

I said "Alright" as I lowered my eyes to the floor and then raised them and watched her clasped her bar in front of her. She has a lovely back. I lowered my eyes before she had spun the bra around.

She turned to face me and said "This is my best bra. You can look now. It lifts and separates." She gave a slight demonstration and told me she got it from Victoria's Secret before she pulled her white sweater over her head.

Outside the hospital, at the entrance to the train station, she told me where she parked and that I should just catch the subway, and that she didn't need me to walk her to her car which was parked a block away.

"Are you sure?" I asked.

"Yes. I'll be okay."

I wasn't pleased with her answer. I wanted to drive her to her house and I would worry about getting to my house from there but she didn't want me to. I looked her in the eye so she would see my concern.

"I'll be okay. Really" she said which still didn't please me but I knew the discussion was over.

She called me later. She was at home, I was at the second job. She got home safely.

No comments: