Monday, March 13, 2006

Mondays are a free night for me. Usually no one is looking for me and I have nothing scheduled. So, sometimes on Monday I stay late at the bar. I got out early, two thirty because I did something extra, an hour for lunch and thirty minutes of how-do-you-do and I was off the clock.

She gave me a beer and when her lunch of chicken quesadillas came up she asked if I wanted a piece. I didn't say anything right away.

"Tim! How can you refuse that offer? She just asked it you wanted a piece" another regular said. He's also a bartender at a different bar, he may be the only one that is there more than I am.

"I would love a piece" I said with a grin and as much glee as I could muster as I returned my attention to her and away from a meaningless baseball game.

"Let's not get crazy now. We're only talking about quesadillas. How come I always say the wrong thing around you, Tim?"

I just smiled and then told the regular of the time she had a customer who was having trouble deciding on whether or not to keep his tab open or pay as he went. She told him "I'll just take it in the end." I just laughed. She asked what's so funny but then she got it. I asked if she would she then asked "Wouldn't you like to know?"

After the beer there was a shot of Patron then two beers, then a shot of Patron and then my phone rang. I had to go to the second office, is what I found out. One of the things I had to do was to set mouse traps at the owner's house. She wasn't going to be there but Nicole was going to be. I've never meet Nicole.

"She going to leave the back door opened for me and she has a nanny or something whom I've never met."

"Hi, I'm Tim, you don't know me but I'm hammered" the regular said in mock conversation.

"Exactly." I said as I shurgged my shoulders.

But that didn't stop me from having another beer and a shot of Patron as I wrote on a cocktail napkin: 1/4 page ad, mouse traps, with the hope that I wouldn't forget.

No comments: