Sunday, March 26, 2006

I sometimes forget that my eyes have power but I have for so many years tried to hide them that I do it without knowing it. There are some people who have never seen me without a hat.

Friday, I left my hat at work; I did it on purpose. I was headed to the bar and I was hoping to last until her seven o'clock shift, which would be four hours from when I left for a late lunch from work.

The power my eyes have are the same power my father's light colored eyes had, you could tell when he was joking, when he was serious, when he loved and when he hated by looking him the eyes. He could control his facial expressions and his voice so sometimes you would have doubts about his true feelings but a look in his eyes though, and you would know the truth. The trouble with looking him in the eyes though is that sometimes it took a bit of a moment to see to the bottom and in that bit of pause he could then see straight down to your soul. You would find out what he was thinking at that moment but he would seem to see all your thoughts for all your life up until that time. I only have a little bit of that second part.

I sometimes wonder if my life would be different if I had brown eyes. Would I have a better chance of hiding my emotions without light colored eyes? Would I be less honest?

The bartenders all do the same thing when they enter the building. They quickly make their way to the safety behind the bar, and once behind the bar they start talking to the nearest bartender and are soon joined by the rest of the help as they update each other on what's going on. It sometimes takes awhile for everyone to catch up to date; drink orders wait.

When she started asking what people wanted is when she noticed me. She came out from behind the bar and gave me a hug.

"I didn't see you sitting there. You're not wearing a hat. I can see your eyes. You have beautiful eyes."

"You do Timmy. You do have beautiful eyes" a waitress added before I could reply.

"Yeah, that's what Paul always tells me" I said as I pointed to my friend to my left which I think made him a little uneasy, that homophobe.

"This is going to cause me trouble" I overheard her say before I looked in her direction. She was looking down, assessing coverage issues. She looked up at me with a look of concern and then assigned me to nipple patrol.

Later when there was a lull, she stood in front of me and my friend and blew a rather large bubble with the green apple bubble gum she was chewing. We stopped our talking while she was blowing.

"I'm impressed with your blowing abilities" I told her with an approving nod.

She replied "And you ain't see nothing yet, sweetie" before she turned to share my wit with another bartender.

My friend leaned over to me and said "I've told you before but I think she would make a lovely Mrs. Catfish."

Possibly

No comments: