Thursday, March 30, 2006

I had a post. I actually wrote two but I was probably only going to post one but anyway I forgot to email them to myself so I don't have access to them so I'll post something different.

I was having lunch is an open public space and I noticed an unattended duffle bag. The bag was left on a concrete bench next to a Federal building. I was going to tell someone I know in security about it but I figured someone had just forgotten it. I didn't want to be the one to tell my friend about an unattended bag and have him fill out all this paper work if someone just forgot their gym bag. So, my plan was to wait until I had to go back from lunch and hope that the person that left the bag would realize it and come back.

I ate lunch and still had forty five minutes left so I started reading my book. It's a good book so far but in one scene the author states that the guy twisted off the cap of a Heineken and you don't have to be a booze bag like myself to know that Heinekens don't have twist off tops. Anyway, while reading the authorities came by with a bomb sniffing dog and the dog couldn't have cared less about the bag.

And some attractive lady, that looked a little uptight, gave me a dismissive look for taking a photo of a broken concrete bench. I would have said something to her but I was hoping to keep my options open.




So, I was at the bar with a friend, the same friend that will meet me at the same bar the next day which is Friday. He tells me that he would like to know what the lunch specials are because if the specials are grand he will have lunch elsewhere and meet up for beers later.

I tell him that specials are set the day of and that the bartenders wouldn't know what the specials are but that if he were to ask that I bet they would be pissed off. He agreed with my assessment so he didn't ask but it got me to thinking that it would be funny to ask. What type of idiot asks what the next day's specials are?

I asked. I said I needed to plan my day around the specials. I, of course, was berated and told that if I wanted to know then I would have to come in tomorrow. I found the reaction kind of funny. I got the reaction I thought I would get but then a little later after my friend left the bartender came over to me and told me, very sweetly, that she would know the specials at eleven o'clock in the morning and that I could call. I was actually a little touched that she told me, so I had to come clean.

I leaned a little towards her and said "Don't bring it up but Paul is the one that wanted to know the specials. I was just being a goofball and asked. I know you don't know until that day of."

"He's going to get it tomorrow."

No comments: