Tuesday, March 07, 2006

So, we're talking, it was down to her and me, there is nobody else in the place. We were not really looking at each other, we were either looking out the window at the passersby or at the TV with some pre-season baseball on it. The place was out of Bud draft beer, so I asked for a bottle of Amstel Light, she told me that's what her boyfriend drinks and then, after a slight pause, she told me her mother drinks it as well. We were talking about people's nature and about relationships, about her boyfriend and her and some things about me during which she called me by someone else's name. The same name as one of my friends. I just let it slide because my friend's not a bad guy, the association could have been worse. I didn't know if she knew she did it or not but then she did catch herself.

"I just called you Dick" she acknowledged just a little louder than a whisper. I just shrugged my shoulders, still without looking at her, trying to demonstrate that the slip was not noteworthy. She started talking about her boyfriend's father, she said how sometimes she will see more of him than she sees of her boyfriend. She said she likes talking to his father and she used his first name, Dick.

No comments: