Saturday, March 11, 2006

email

I live in a political town, and here there are two classes of people concerning politics, those that are in and those that are out. I was always the type that would read the papers, listen to the news and vote and that was about it. I never gave money. I never volunteered time. I never donated services. I rarely even talked politics.

But then a friend was named treasurer of someone's campaign, then I was in. I don't like politics. I don't like the dirty tricks. I don't like that honor takes a back seat. I don't like that the truth doesn't matter. I don't like that it's a popularity contest. I don't like that a person's merit is irrelevant. I don't like the phony gladhanding. I don't like the back room deals. I don't like that it's mostly a members only type deal. I don't like that the vote of a dumb ass counts the same as the vote of an educated voter.

We made it to the show, the main election, we beat out five other contenders. We lost in the main election. After that my skills were tapped a little here and there for other candidates but I did my best to fade out of sight. It took awhile.

Some people love politics. I don't. It's a dirty game and if you play it fair you will most likely lose.

Despite my aversion to the political process, I give money, I volunteer time, I donate services, I talk politics - but mostly just the first. Money is usually dirty and dishonored anyway, money loves politics.

No comments: