Tuesday, March 28, 2006

one word

the one word for today was rainy

I only ever done that little writing exercise once and even that time, I'm pretty sure I went over the sixty second time limit. I'll see what the word of the day is often and think about how I would use the word. I usually don't think up a little story or even a complete sentence but then the directions are "Don't think just write" (I don't write either) but, always, only just a definition comes to mind or rather just a synonym and it's usually not the most common use of the word or it's used in not the most popular way or at least not the most popular, in my opinion. Mostly, it's just a feeling I get.

I could write the feeling but then I would have to think about it and getting the feeling down takes more than a minute. I would arrange a little word town, one building at a time around that feeling until I was satisfied that the name on the town limit sign would match what was witnesses around that last bend in the road.

I'm not good at writing exercises. I think writing is an art and it doesn't make a good fit when you have to shoehorn it into some place.

I don't think writing is best described as right or wrong but I do think it can be described as good or bad. Writing may be technically incorrect but if the words express a thing in such a way so that the reader can feel it, then I think syntax, grammar and punctuation are all superfluous. Sometimes those things can get in the way.

I don't think what I do is art. But I also realize that I am so used to my own voice that it has left me jaded towards it. Maybe if I were new to me, I would like me better.

Rainy - I thought about someone sad, a rainy day even though the sun shone bright.

No comments: