Thursday, March 23, 2006

It's a dive bar. When I'm there, some of what happens is we talk about who has been thrown out. I'll tell them what I've heard and they will tell me what they have heard. I'm a grape on the grapevine.

Lately, there are some patrons have been asking those employed at the bar for money. One guy, after sitting at the bar for a few paying as he went, asked the bartender if he could borrow ten bucks, she gave him the sawbuck thinking the guy would leave. The guy didn't leave, he stays for two more beers and then he tipped her one of her own dollars. Another guy asked a manager if he could borrow forty bucks, at the time the guy was close to staggering drunk; the manger helped him out, out of the bar that is. The guy sneaked back in when the manager was occupied with something else and then he asked a bartender for twenty bucks.

When I was told about the second guy by the bartender involved, told me she used my name while she was explaining to the guy why he shouldn't be asking for money.

"Listen guy. You know Timmy. Well, Timmy is here all the time, we all like Timmy and he would never ask for money. He would rather walk home to Dorchester before he would ask anybody for money and he is the only one in this whole freaking bar who I wouldn't mind giving money to."

I've been going to this bar for awhile, I'm there more often than I'm not, which doesn't reflect too well on me but some times I am just drinking sodas and getting lunch. The point is I'm there frequently, I'm liked and I try to make myself welcomed. Tending bar or tables can be trying. I do my best to be an easy customer and I think I leave a better than average tip. It would never occur to me to ask anyone there for money. First, I would be too embarrassed. Second, I think asking for money goes beyond the bartender / patron relationship.

I have actually, kind of, walked home for this Downtown bar before but it wasn't because I didn't have any money. It was more of a situation of not feeling too comfortable with all the alcohol that I had consumed, from Downtown to my house there are seven train stops on this particular night I only used one. It is a four and a quarter mile walk from the bar to my front door, the one train stop cut a mile off of that trip.

She ended up giving the guy twenty bucks, mainly just to get rid of him.

"He tried to come around the bar and he's saying "I know I'm too old for you, so it's nothing like that, it's just that I like you..." and then he goes on and says "..not to creep you out or anything--""

"Too late" I interjected.

The guy we were talking about then came in not three minutes later, she set him up with a beer before he had a chance to speak, her hope was that he would just sit quietly. They spoke a little and I over heard him ask when her shift was over. He mentioned a time that wasn't correct but she told him that it was.

"Yeah right, guy. I'm going to tell you when I'm leaving work" she said after the guy left. "I thought he was going to give me my twenty back but he just wanted to know what time I was leaving...He didn't even pay for that beer."

I had things to do, so I had to leave. I asked for my check. She handed me a bill which only had a charge for a food item on it even though I had consumed more than two beverages. There are often times when I don't get charged for beverages, I rarely will get charged for soft drinks but in this instance I wasn't drinking soft drinks.

"Timmy, you're going to leave me for when that guy comes back?"

"I's gots to go" I said with a shrug. I really did have things to do. A manger was due to be on the clock before that guy was set to return, so I wasn't too worried about it. I'm certain I'll hear the story later.

"Hey, thanks" I added with a nod towards the bill. I left the amount that it should have been plus a tip.

I'm pretty sure some of the other regulars hate me but screw them.

No comments: