Thursday, December 30, 2004

Another slow news day. Well, here at least

I’m hanging around this guy’s house for business reasons, the guy is probably in his early eighties. He asks if he knows me. I let him know I am not familiar with him, even though I grew up six blocks from his house, as a kid I rarely went farther than a block or two other than for school.

He asks for my last name. I tell him.

He asks “Do you know a Sy?”

I answer “I don’t.”

But he insists he knows me. I tell him I grew up around here but he indicates that’s not it. I tell him the name of my father but that’s not it either. I start to get a little annoyed because the guy is so convinced that he knows me and I’m certain that he doesn’t. So the memory searching continues.

I tell him the name of my grandfather, who died before I was born. My grandfather’s name was Lyman. He says “Hmm, that’s Sy.”

How the heck was I supposed to know?

I asked my dad about it and he said they did called his dad Sy, although he didn’t know why.

My grandfather used to carry heat. He used to make bank deposits for a liquor store so the cops let him get a permit to carry. So, he carried.

...

My last day of work this year is today.

I left one of my four personal days unused. I feel like some rookie for doing that.

Another year, I haven't called in sick, nine years in a row. I'll get a week's pay for that by trading unused sick days. I've earned 105 hours this year which brings my total to 487.7

I worked 15.5 hours worth of overtime. I could have worked much more.

I used 56 hours of vacation time of the 126 I had available.

I've spent 528 dollars on public transportation.

...

Lady G is taking the train to New York today. She'll take the 6PM train back.

No comments: