Tuesday, December 07, 2004

“We will never forget” but I don’t remember quite the way I used to.

The best I can relate it to is the one and only time I hit my thumb with a hammer. My hammer of choice is a 20oz straight claw Estwing with the leather ring handle. Most of your standard hammers are 16oz, so my hammer has a little bit more punch to it. I was in a hurry and using twisted lumber and I was in an awkward position and I ended up hitting my thumb with a clean shot. The result wasn’t pretty and most painful for such a relatively small area.

I remember at the time thinking that I will never forget this pain and for the next six months I could still recall the physical feeling of that pain but after awhile I could not. I forgot the pain but I could still remember the thoughts of that pain. The thought that I would never forget, the thought of wondering if amputating the thumb at the knuckle would be less painful than the damage done above the knuckle.

I can’t remember the actual pain but I still remember the result of that pain.

No comments: