Sunday, December 12, 2004

What the heck?

I get to the second job and I have this note that says:

“Why is stuff stored on the hard drive? Should be stored on a network drive. …Just a suggestion, documents should not be stored on the “C” drive. Please let me know if you want me to change anything”

The second job has a network that consists of three P4’s, one P3, one P2, two laptops, a color laser printer, and a DSL line.

Notice I didn’t list anything called a server. The network is peer to peer.

The note writer also included a screen capture of a window from Windows Explorer which shows a sub-director called Admin’s Documents under the ‘My Computer’ icon and suggests that the data files be saved in that directory.

I have all the data files under a sub-directory called Data whose path is this C:\Documents and settings\Admin\Admin’s Documents\Shared Documents.

If you are done yawning, please notice that the sub-directory called ‘Admin’s Documents’ is included in the latter path name. That is because it is the same sub-directory and the ‘Admin’s Documents’ that is under ‘My Computer’ is just a shortcut to the directory to where I dump all the data files (in further assorted sub-directories).

I want to know who the hell says you aren’t supposed to save data on the c: drive. We all know you aren’t supposed to save data in the root directory but that isn’t what she said. Where the hell else are you suppose to save your data if not the hard drive known as c?

How many regular folks have more than one hard drive in their machine now that 40GB drives are run of the mill?

And what does she think a network drive is?

...

I'm top of the list with this search silk screen t-shirts wrap around maps

No comments: