Tuesday, December 07, 2004

silver pennies are only worth a cent if you spend them


I have this form when filled out will send a portion of regular pay to up to four charities.

I have this booklet full of charities with corresponding codes. Last year I sent money to the aquarium. The aquarium’s money problems were making the paper, they do other things than just open their doors to the public, so I sent a very nominal amount their way.

It wasn’t the best use of my spare change.

I think I picked the aquarium because if they happened to fail at their quest, it would be no big deal in the big scheme of things. It’s not life and death. Not human life and death anyway.

I’m thumbing through the booklet and I’m thinking the world is really fucked up, all these groups needing to promote their good causes.

In the bigger scheme of things...

Some I understand:

Doc tors Without Bord ers – an independent international medical relief organization that sends volunteer health professionals to aid victims of war, epidemics and natural disasters in over 80 countries.

Helen Kel ler International – works in 25 nations in Asia, Africa and the Americas to treat and/or prevent cataract, nutritional blindness, onchocerciasis, refractive error and trachoma.

Reading is Fund amental, Inc. (RIF) – by promoting a love of books, RIF encourages children’s literacy.

Some I don’t:

United States Sports men’s All iance – to protect hunting, fishing and trapping through public education and legal defense.


No comments: