Monday, December 06, 2004

Happy Pearl Harbor Day (tomorrow)

I typed something I internalized, a comment came that externalized it, externalized it for me anyway, a comment about 9/11. A comment from a New Yorker.

I live in a historic town, history abounds, I can literally reach out and touch it and in some places walk on the same stones as founding fathers memorialized in not just local statues and plagues but in school books across the nation, possibly the world. This town of mine also has a fair amount of museums and a pretty good aquarium.

I’m spoiled and jaded.

I can remember traveling with my grandparents, my paternal grandmother and my step grandfather, we would travel to other cities and I would wonder where are all the historic sites, where are the museums and where is the aquarium.

I like history, I’m most likely a product of my environment. I remember certain historic parts more than others because I can see them, I can touch them.

Like most of the world, 9/11 was delivered to me via a television set. Visions of horror “We will never forget.” I do remember but as time goes by 9/11 feels more like a newer 12/7, a contemporary Pearl Harbor.

For me 9/11 is a bit of modern day history, a memory that is occasionally recalled.

But others have side stepped the rubble and I imagine they can still smell that distinctive odor of that white gray dust.

My past is still their present. For me that noise from that day has been somewhat drowned out by other sounds.

But if I listen I can still hear that day in other’s ears.

No comments: