Monday, December 06, 2004

My friends have it the worst

The occasion was a social gathering. One of the purposes, though unstated, was to get us to know each other better, so that we will be a more effective team. I sat with three friends not by design but by happenstance. There was this moment not unlike musically chairs and when the small talked stopped you were expected to sit.

One of the organizers, who I actually consider a friend, came over and noticed that my table was quite familiar with each other which was contrary to the purpose so he stated “I might have to break this group up.” I smiled my sly smile while looking at one of my friends, who had just turned to look at me, and then I slowly turned to the one speaking. I didn’t look him in the eye, I didn’t even look directly at him. I sort of just looked in his direction, held my gaze about five inches from his person and said “Have at it.”

He didn’t have at it. I turned my attention back to the conversation. He stood quiet for a moment and then sat down and joined in.

If you can’t beat them join them – I guess was his thinking.

No comments: