Tuesday, December 28, 2004

How I blog

I don’t even know if what I do is blogging or not.

The thing of it is – I don’t really care.

I’ve read there is a difference between things and such - blogs, journals, diaries.

I don’t really care about that either.

How I blog – I write whatever the heck I want, however I want but I do have a couple things I keep in mind.

I try to post almost every day just so folks know that I’m alive. I usually don’t post on Saturdays, it’s just the luck of the draw. I’m usually only near a dialup connection on Saturdays, so I forego the posting.

I try to keep things short. This is because I have little entertainment value. Also, I don’t want to have to read a bunch of my own stuff when on the rare occasion I reread myself.

My type is kinda small so it don’t look like a lot of words (sometimes I use poor English). I figure folks say “I can trudge through that, it’s short.” That’s why I over comma and over paragraph, too – break things up into small portions, it’s easier to choke down.

When I do think I have a decent post going, I keep things vague. I think when things are vague, the reader gets to fill in some blanks on their own, they personalize it. I, in effect, have the reader write some of the story. I’ve read vague stuff and wondered ‘what the heck does that mean,’ then go away think about what it means, come back, see if my thoughts could be correct and wonder ‘is that what that really means’ usually it some profound stuff I’ve thought up about it but who really knows. So, if you think anything on this site is interesting it’s probably your own fault. And thanks.

Sometimes I don’t know where I’m going with a story or end up at a different place than what I was thinking but I’ll post it anyway. I’ve gotten comments on posts I was going to throw away, so I really don’t know what is good and what is not. I’ve posted stuff I thought was crap just because I spent a couple moments typing it and didn’t want all the searching and pecking to go down the drain.

I’m contrary to some of the advice I’ve read about blogging, but then my agenda most likely differs from theirs. I blog with the advice I heard Jack LaLanne say once in an interview when someone told him “I want to be just like you” Jack said, almost like a plea, “No! You be you.” So that’s what whoever reads this site gets stuck with, me being me. Well, for the most part.

I actually have no other choice because my fiction sucks.

No comments: