Saturday, April 22, 2006

house of light

Dude, buy some decent shoes that don't squeak.

So, squeaky shoes dude is asking around for cheap housing near the waterfront. I actually think I saw a property he might like in last week's paper. It had a stable for your unicorn and everything.

***

So, I'm not impressed with the peach granola muffin top or the cranberry creme coffee.

But really what the heck was I thinking ordering either of those?

***

"Why would anybody listen to you?"

"Because I'm a published poet"

"What of yours has been published?"

"In the fourth grade, the school printed a book and included my poem."

The school was about to close due to budget cuts and someone had this grand idea to have the students do some things on the creative side and to publish the collection into a book to help 'save our school'.

All the students were given a blank piece of paper to put whatever they wanted to on it. I've never been great with blank pieces of paper so I did what I knew. What I knew on that day was how to draw a lighthouse. It was a decent picture, I passed it in and forgot about until a couple days later.

"We really like the lighthouse but we need something more. Could you write a poem or something?"

I certainly did not want to write a poem. I didn't even want to draw the lighthouse but I ended up writing the damn poem. I think I still have the book from my closed grammar school around somewhere. I forget most of the labored poem.

Some are like strong tall towers
Some sit on a field of flowers


Those are the two lines I remember. I only remember them because of that second line. I could never picture a lighthouse in a field of flowers but I needed something to rhyme with towers. I guess I was a sucker for alliteration in the fourth grade as well. I hadn't realized it was present in those lines until I typed it out just now.

some abut fields of flowers


would have been better, maybe

maybe I'll draw a lighthouse for you later.

No comments: