Sunday, April 23, 2006

"How do you feel about kids?" the Sunday School superintendent asked my sister. My youngest sister was seated next to me; we were just hanging out waiting for the Bible School to begin. My sister stammered a little for an answer.

"Because we're looking for people to teach Sunday School for next year" the superintendent added.

"I'm not too comfortable around groups of kids."

"Okay, that's an honest answer."

"What about you? How are you with kids?"

"I love kids but I don't like teaching" I said.

"I was going to say something if you said you didn't like kids" my mom said.

"What?!"

"You like kids and old people"

"And I hate everyone else in the middle?"

"I wouldn't say he likes them, it's just that they like him" my sister said.

"And how do you be rude to kids and old people?" I asked.

"Oh you can be rude to kids" the superintendent said.

"I think you have a point though, you respect old people and the kids you feel that they might not know any better but everyone else should know better" my mom said to the superintendent. I sat quietly thinking that that was my point.



It was my sister's birthday yesterday so we ended up going to the Olive Garden. We didn't know we were going, it just sort of worked out that way. The birthday girl was wearing a black blouse that had noticeable white pinstripes.

I've never been to an Olive Garden and my first impression was that they were trying to be fancier than they are, like they were trying to trick people into thinking they are more than just a casual dining restaurant chain and I voiced that opinion.

"What do you know? You hate everyone except kids and old people" my recently thirty year old sister said.

"At least I'm not dressed like the Godfather eating lunch at the Olive Garden" I retorted.

No comments: