Wednesday, April 19, 2006

So...

that's all I got

No post on a Tuesday night kind of bothers me.

My three year old niece likes to say "Just kidding, Timmy" quickly after she does something questionable.

Sometimes I'll just look at a blog and not read it. I'll let my eyes hit the page and get a feel for what's written, sometimes my eyes deceive me, but often my quick look is close to what's written. There are times I just don't want to be moved by words. There are times I just want to be entertained. There are times I'll save reading them for another day.



My mom was telling a story the other day about my sister's pot belly pig.

"We have some land in Vermont and we would vacation up there and the pig would come along. Well, there is an apple orchard next to us--"

"By apple orchard she means a crabapple tree, there may be two of them." I coldly interjected.

The point of the story was to give a real life example of how the pig will overeat to the point where it is uncomfortable for him to lie down. His legs will sort of stay up in the air much like that of a dead cow taut with gasses caused by decomposition.

My mom further went on to tell that the pig farmer down the way in Vermont raised black pigs and that there was some traveling butcher as well, so that we had to be extra mindful of our pet pig.

Later, my sister asked me if that anything our mother said that day was true. I felt my mom's stories were true but mostly just to her even though they where inaccurate.

My father had a knack for exaggeration as well. I think both of my parents would sometimes see things better than they actually were, not out of a need to puff their situation up but because they enjoyed what they had. They had a kind of gratefulness that can see two crabapple trees by the side of the road as an apple orchard.

Our 'cabin' in Vermont is actually just a large shed - for another example.

We did build it from the ground up, windows, door, metal roof. It's twenty feet long by twelve feet wide with a roof that peaks at twelve feet high or so.

I think one of the main secrets that I try to keep is that I don't really have any secrets worth keeping secret. I'm guarding an empty treasure chest.

Within the five questions there was the word 'folks' three times so I made fun of it.

"I wrote those questions" my sister informed me.

"I say folks a lot too but it's still funny. I wonder where we picked that up from."



Nobody will ask, be he'll tell everything he knows even when he should keep quiet.

Do you like making trouble for yourself?


"Nobody is going to be looking for you. You think you're more important than you are." We were off the clock but sometimes emergencies come up and that day had a vibe like something might have come up. He kept checking his phone to the point that it irritated the bartender and caused her to comment.

"I have to work hard to make the department look good. They would have trouble getting someone to work like I do."

"Not to diminish what you do because you bust your ass most every day but when you got back from your three month leave, was there a pile of stuff that you had to deal with?" I asked

"No"

"If you or I were to leave, what we do would just stop being done. They would use the excuse that they don't have anyone to do those things and they just wouldn't do them. Nobody really cares that you bust your ass as much as you do. What's it got you lately?" There was a pause before I added "They only care about them. They are more concerned with them not looking bad than they are with you doing a good job. They just don't want to get bad phone calls, they don't care about the good phone calls. You have to do a good job for yourself because you're the only one that cares. If you do it for them you'll go crazy because they don't really care. Screw them."



Funerals in my family actually get a little loud. I think the laughter coming from our side pisses of the mourners on the other side.


She hasn't worked for us in quite some time but she would call me from time to time, usually for business, sometimes to bash the Republicans. She dropped by her old office today. It's still my old office. I never told her that I don't have any problems with Republicans, my problem is with this administration.

"You're a good man. Come here and give me one." I assumed the 'one' was a hug due to the motion she made with her hands, and that's all she got.


I haven't figured out yet if he's just playing dumb or if he is actually dumb. People expect less from dummies, it's not a bad ploy.

No comments: