Monday, April 10, 2006

She wore it on her middle finger and showed it off

The nearest gumball machine whose location I could remember in my part of downtown Boston was a bit of a hike from where I was and I wasn't certain there would be one selling rings and then I remembered that a tourist shop just across the street sold rings with first names on them. I was certain they would have one that said Danielle. I was right. Ten bucks was a little more than I wanted to pay for a joke but I'm lazy.

I set the ring and front of her.

"What's this for?"

"I think we got engaged on Friday."

She smiled "You're right, we did."

"Wait let me see" an off duty waitress who was passing time at the bar said.

"I got it engraved and everything."

"No, you didn't."

"Look, it has Danielle right on it" Danielle argued, she then turned to me "You were funny Friday." She then turned to the three ladies to my right. "I would ask him if he was drunk and he would say 'I'm getting there, thanks to you'"

Friday, most likely, I was drunk.

Almost an hour after I arrived I asked for my bill but she wouldn't give it to me. She told me I could get her on her next shift which will be Wednesday. I agreed that I would but I left money under my coaster anyway. I think she caught me looking guilty.

No comments: