Sunday, March 28, 2004

Where am I up to? Saturday?


Yeah, Saturday. Little g is with me again. There is this business run out of the house, a comic book like business, small potatoes, so nothing fancy, all mail order, internet, ebay stuff. All the stock is in the basement, all the stock and one of my sisters. Little g asks about the sister that in the basement, so we go to the basement. Hello's all around, then Little g asks can I use all kinds of saws? Which I think is an odd request from a 10 year old girl who will readily tell you she is a princess, but hey, I have all kinds of saws so we get to sawing.

The first tool that was every mine was a small hand saw. I think I was five maybe younger, my dad had a burlap sack of them, which is odd, saws usually don't come in sacks. Anyway, saws hold a special place in my heart. A lot of what I know I cannot pin onto one person, most is a compilation of varied teachers and just stuff I picked up, but the use of a hand saw was taught to me by my dad, if Little g uses a hand saw because of me, my dad's efforts will not have been in vain, in some way. So I think.

Sawing random pieces of wood is great but making stuff is better. So we cut scrape wood to size and take it to the kitchen where we woodburn our names into our respective pieces of plank. I haven't used a woodburner since I was seven, so I forgot a lot but the signs where okay. We end up making signs for her friends, four friends, which were damn near close to decent.

I later got to thinking woodburning is a lame craft, if you want to put all that effort into a piece of wood, paint it or something but there are some things the great burners can do I guess that painting cannot but I still don't get it.

Lady G also has left me an assignment. She needs a handled small paper bag customized for what I don't know but she wants a name on it. So now I need to find my calligraphy stuff, the last time I used that was probably three years ago because the stuff was on sale, prior to that, I'm thinking high school. I used to address Lady G's letters in calligraphy.

I don't say much of anything very definite but handwritten letters rock with not a doubt. If you get a handwritten letter, those words are real, really real, a bit of soul. Not always good news but always real. Really real which rocks.

Anyway...

Lady G remembers too much stuff.

I do a couple practice runs because I have only one bag, I forget how some of the letters are supposed to look so I make stuff up. Stuff that looks good, dare I say quite good ...okay maybe only just good, but it's only just a paper bag.

When I return Little g home, she goes home with four signs for friends, a kazillion custom magnets (which I didn't mention), a customized bag, and Sunny Doodles, Sunny Doodles are Lady G's favorites. Sunny Doodles were on sale at the supermarket.

Little g has left her name sign on my kitchen table, the best stuff is on the back of the sign where we were just goofing about.

Lady G is my favorite.

No comments: